Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Touring Kyongju


Sokkuram Grotto
http://londonkoreanlinks.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/sokkuram.jpg

June 18, 1988

I mentioned in an earlier post that Kyongju was the capital of the Silla (Shilla) Kingdom and it is also a concentrated location of Korean Buddhist art. It is known as the "museum without walls" due to the many sites and artifacts that survived since the 9th century and UNESCO has listed Kyongju as a World Heritage Site.

We spent the morning touring palaces, tombs of nobility and temples. We also went to the outskirts of Kyongju to see the Sokkuram Grotto. This grotto was built along the side of a mountain in 751 and houses a Buddha that is visited by many every day.

After visiting these archaeological sites, we walked around an area of Kyongju and checked out the local businesses. Even in an area with great historical significance, I was curious about the shopping possibilities!

As I look back at my photos, I wish that I had taken more. Life before digital cameras was just not convenient. I hope to return someday. That afternoon, we headed to Pusan (or Busan).

No comments: