Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Il San


It might seem weird that I am posting a map to the Il San Costco. I wrote about Costco in my 1st post. I came across this when I was looking for images of Il San.

June 14, 1988 Con't.

Upon our arrival to Kimpo International Airport in Seoul, we were greeted by members of our agency. Not only was it overwhelming to be in Korea, but it was also quite rare to be with a group of individuals who shared a similar background. For the first time, I would take notice to last names of the members in my group. Fitzpatrick, Culkins and Page weren't exactly Korean surnames. I felt comfortable with the fact that I wouldn't have to explain how I ended up with the surname that I had.

After a group photograph, we left for Il San. By this time, it was probably 10:00 or so at night and none of us had much sleep. The adrenaline kept us going. Il San is a town north/northwest of Seoul. It is where our agency has a home for children with special needs and there were also quarters for guests. We spent several nights here.

Befriending a few people on one of the flights, I was able to get into a group of girls who would be my roommates for the entire trip. We were shown our room with the futon-like bedding and ended up talking late into the night. As cliche as it sounds, there was an instant bond and I looked forward to learning more about them and our motherland.

1 comment:

dlmiller123 said...

I love costco!! Even better would be to see the Costco in Seoul - giant jars of kimchi and huge bags of dried squid to eat at the movie theater. Yum!