Friday, August 7, 2009

Long Duck Dong...aka The Donger

Without a doubt, John Hughes' films are my favorite movies from the 80s. From "The Breakfast Club" to "Pretty in Pink", Hughes' created characters that were relatable, flawed and memorable. Since his death, I came across a couple of articles that are very critical of the creation of Long Duck Dong from "Sixteen Candles". This movie was a favorite and the sophomoric humor can still get a laugh from me today. However, "Sixteen Candles" did push the politically correct envelope with its "oriental" character. Even though the scenes with the Donger are hilarious in terms of the situational and physical comedy, they can be a little uncomfortable to view at the same time. Especially if you are of Asian descent.

On the motherland tour, race and racism were always on the table. I remember that several of us were perplexed about the character Long Duck Dong. It was only a couple of years since the release of "Sixteen Candles" and the movie was still fresh in our minds. We found the Long Duck Dong funny, but as Asian Americans, was it OK to laugh? For many of us, a huge part of our emotional development centered on our acceptance of who we were ethnically and how to exist in a non-Korean world.

Moreover, Long Duck Dong was a crude reminder that we were not in the majority. I remember an adoptee, who said that she was very self-conscious anyway, say that she felt like people were watching her in the theater when Long Duck Dong was on the screen. It was a bad stereotype (as if there are good ones) and I would argue that it has contributed to perpetuating a negative image of Asians today.

In the movie, I always laugh when the Donger was riding the stationary bike w/his "sexy American girlfriend" or when he told his host family that he drove their car into Lake Michigan. I was not laughing at the extremely thick accent, though. It is like being forced to listen to fingernails on a chalkboard. I found comedy in the dialogue or the set up of a scene. So, I wonder what other people found funny about Long Duck Dong. Was it his accent or his antics?

Another thought is that the Donger was thrown into this family who was sheltered and ignorant, and the Donger's character was simply to point out that there are people like this who still exist. His host family made him do household chores and he was the source of many jokes. Perhaps we are to find humor in the fact that the other characters were not so worldly and that they were really the odd ones, not the Donger. Funny or pathetic, I can relate to some of the Donger's experiences. Most importantly, the Donger got the girl and he was the life of the party.

My last point is that I could never figure out which country was Long Duck Dong's homeland. If I recall correctly, there is a reference to him being from Japan which doesn't make sense because his name is certainly not Japanese. Then, some of the characters refer to him as a "Chinaman." So, this could have been intentional in order to keep it "pan-Asian", if you will, so not to isolate and offend a certain Asian culture. Wow, how thoughtful. :)

I just came across this blog via the Chicago Tribune and this guy was pretty bothered by this character. I won't go as far to call John Hughes a racist, but I will say that I can see this blogger's point.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Hughes: Racist? by Jason Chin
http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/improvised-blog/2009/08/john-hughes-racist.html

Growing up in the 80's was tough for me; I wasn't athletic, smart or good-looking, but somehow I made do. I was funny and that helped. I was great at dodging as well. And then 16 Candles ruined it all.

The movie was okay. Trite, a little fun, but I remember seeing it in the theater and thinking to myself, "This is going to be trouble."



How is that OKAY? Sixteen Candles was THE movie of 1984 and just about every single class "comedian" would quote lines from the move to me. And not in a friendly manner either. For years, I thought it was just me being annoyed. But it's not. Don't get me wrong, I love most of John Hughes' work. Home Alone is a wonderful movie and I love Uncle Buck for some reason. For me, personally, 16 Candles is very racist and that character overshadowed the entire movie experience. I would like to think that something like that wouldn't happen nowadays.

I'm sad that such a talented writer and director has passed away, but I can't forget how that movie affected my life.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Furthermore, here is another opinion piece about Long Duck Dong: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=88591800

It was John Hughes' death and recent articles that reminded me that we discussed this notorious character on the motherland tour. I love John Hughes' films. How could we not laugh at the campy scripts of the "Vacation" movies, "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"?

No comments: